Bengal is one of the traditional provinces of the undivided Indian subcontinent. Pabna is a district of Bengal consisting of 28 districts. According to the history of the district, the present Pabna district is believed to have been named after Poundra Vardhan, the land inhabited by the Paudra people of the area, and Pabni, one of the tributaries of the fallen Pabni Ganges.
Before 1828, Pabna was part of Rajshahi district. Later in 1828 a part of Rajshahi district was divided and the present Pabna district was formed. First Pabna district consists of Khetupara, Mathurapur, Raiganj of Pabna district and Dharampur, Madhupur, Kushtia of Jessore district (on the other side of Padma) and later Pangsha which is now part of Rajbari district. In 1848 the river Jamuna was declared the boundary of Pabna district. The integration of Sirajganj upazila west of the Jamuna with Pabna in 1855 for the convenience of administrative work increased the size of the district. In 1871 Pangsha Thana was annexed from Pabna to Goalanda subdivision of Faridpur district and Kumarkhali thana to Kushtia subdivision of Nadia. Thus the southern boundary of the district is determined by the Padma. Until 1984, Pabna was a district with Sadar subdivision and Sirajganj subdivision. Since 1984, Pabna and Sirajganj have been known as two separate districts. At present Pabna district consists of Pabna, Ishwardi, Atgharia, Chatmohar, Faridpur, Sujanagar, Bera, Santhia and Bhangura upazilas.
Padma, Jamuna and Ichhamati are some of the notable rivers of Pabna. Pabna is the only district where the Padma and Jamuna coexist. However, the Ichhamati river has lost its normal flow and is almost dead today.
Naming Of Pabna District
There is no end to the legend of naming ‘Pabna’. According to a legend, the name Pabna originated from the preceding stream of the Ganges called ‘Pabni’. According to another source, the place where a bandit named ‘Paban’ or ‘Pabna’ was once known as Pabna. On the other hand, some historians think that the name ‘Pabna’ comes from ‘Padumba’. Over time, Padumbai has come to Pabna to preserve the harmony or to become another etymological etymology. The first visit to Padumba took place in the 11th century AD during the reign of King Rampal. According to history, one of the fourteen helpers who sought refuge from Rampal Hntarajya Barindra Kaivarta rulers was a feudal lord named Padumbar Som. Again, according to many, the name Pabna originated from Paundravardhana. They said that many towns of Paundravardhana were located on the north side of the Ganges. In the current language, Pundruvardhana or Paundravardhana has to be pronounced as Ponvardhana or Pobavardhana.
History Of Pabna District
The area, formerly known as Pabna (including Sirajganj district), was part of the eastern districts of Bengal and Pundruvardhan in ancient India. After the end of Gangaridi’s reign, the greater Pabna became part of the Mauryan Empire. King Ashoka brought the whole of Bengal under his rule, including Pundu. Almost the whole of the district belonged to the Mauryan Empire. After the fall of the Maurya dynasty, the history of the political situation in this region of Bengal, including Pabna district, was overshadowed by ignorance. The region was included in the Gupta Empire during Samudragupta’s reign (340-380 AD) and during the reign of Kumar Gupta I (413-455 AD), Pabna (including Sirajganj) district became an important administrative division of the Gupta Empire called Pundravardhana Bhukti in North Bengal. After the fall of the Gupta kings, the region was most likely ruled by later Guptas until the reign of Mahasen Gupta. He ruled over this part of Bengal towards the end of the 6th century. At the beginning of the seventh century, Shashanka succeeded in ousting the later Guptas. He established an independent strong state called Gaur with North and West Bengal and Magadha. After the death of Shashanka in 637 AD, Harshavardhana was able to establish his authority over the region. At this time in 638 AD, Hiuen Tsang, a Chinese traveler, visited Bangladesh. After the death of Harshavardhana, the history of this part of ancient Bengal for almost one and a half hundred years is shrouded in unknown darkness. At this time (600-750 AD) there was political turmoil and chaos in Bengal. There was no rule at the center. An extreme chaos. In history, this period has been termed as Matsyanaya. At the beginning of the 8th century, sometime between 723 and 735 AD, Yashovardhana of Kanauj defeated Gaur Raj and occupied Bangladesh, and almost the whole of Bengal, including Pabna district, came under his control. In 736 AD, Lalitaditya of Kashmir defeated Yalovardhana and extended his dominion over the region. Later Pabna came under the Palas.
At least 17 kings of the Pala dynasty (c. 758-1162 AD) ruled over Pabna during their respective reigns. After the death of Ram Pal (1125 AD), the Sena dynasty established its rule in the region in a state of uncertainty over the existence of the Pala dynasty. At the time of the fall of the Palas, when the Chalukya prince Vikramaditya VI invaded Bengal, the army probably came here with him from South India. At first they settled in West Bengal. Then during the reign of Rampal he started an independent kingdom in North Bengal. Vijay Sen, the first famous king of the Sen dynasty, defeated the last Pala king Madan Pal. During his reign Pabna came under his control. He shifted his capital to Vijay Nagar near Godagari, 5 miles west of Rampur Goalia.
During the reign of Lakshman Sen (the last king of the Sen dynasty), there was chaos in the Sen kingdom. At this time in 1204 Ikhtiyar Uddin Muhammad Bakhtiyar Khalji invaded Nadia, the capital of Lakshman Sen and captured Lakshnavati. At that time Pabna district came under the control of Muslims. He peacefully ruled his newly conquered kingdom.
From 1205, Pabna district was under the control of the Muslim rulers of Gaur. After the death of Muhammad Bakhtiyar Khalji in 1206, Muhammad Siran Khalji came to power in the region. He ruled the state independently with the title of Sultan Alauddin. Then Ali Mardan got the royal representation of Lakshnavati from Sultan Qutb Uddin Aibek of Delhi. After the death of Qutb Uddin Aibek in 1210, Ali Mardan declared independence against the Sultan of Delhi and assumed the title of Sultan. He continued his rule over the district for about three years. He was killed by the Khalji Amirs in 1212. These emirs then nominated Gias Uddin Iwaz Khalji as the ruler of Lakhnauti. He ruled the state for about 14 years with the title of Sultan. Then in 1227, when Sultan Gias Uddin was killed by Prince Nasir Uddin, son of Sultan Iltutmish, Prince Nasir Uddin came to power in Lakhnauti. From 1227 to 1282, a total of 16 rulers ruled Lakhnauti. At that time no ruler of Laksnavati acknowledged allegiance to the Sultan of Delhi. Sultan Mugis Uddin Tughril was the last of the 16 rulers. Gias Uddin Balban was then the Sultan of Delhi. He could not stand the loyalty of the ruler of Lakshmanavati. He invaded Bengal to subdue him. When Tughril was defeated and killed in battle in 1282, Sultan Balban appointed his son Bogra Khan as the ruler of Lakhnauti. Later, Bogra Khan declared independence against the Sultan of Delhi and took the title of Sultan Nasir Uddin Muhammad Shah. Until 1324, the independence of Lakhnauti remained intact. In that year Sultan Gias Uddin Tughlaq of Delhi annexed Lakhnauti to his empire.
During the fall of the reign of Sultan Muhammad bin Tughlaq of Delhi (1325-1351), a Haji Ilyas Shah ascended the throne of Lakhnauti. Undoubtedly Pabna district belonged to the kingdom of Haji Ilyas Shah (1342-1357). After his death, his successors Sikandar Shah, Saifuddin Hamza Shah, Shihabuddin Bayazid Shah, Alauddin Firoz Shah, etc., maintained their authority over the district.
Then King Ganesha ascended the throne of Lakhnauti in 1414. His reign was short-lived as he died soon after. Then his successor and son Jadu converted to Islam and took the name Jalal Uddin. Jalal Uddin continued his rule over the district till 1432. Then his son Samsuddin Ahmad Shah ruled the area till 1442. The Ilyasshahi dynasty was re-established through Nasir Uddin Abul Mozaffar Mahmud, who killed Samsuddin Ahmad Shah. Until 1487, the district was under the rule of the Iliasshahi dynasty. From then until 1493, there was confusion and chaos in the administrative system of the region. At this time the Abyssinians seized power by overthrowing the Ilyas Shahi dynasty through power and prestige. When their last king Samsuddin Mozaffar Shah (1491-1493) was killed by his vizier Saeed Hossain, he ascended the throne of Lakshmanavati in 1493 with the title of Alauddin Hussain Shah. Normally this district was under the rule of Alauddin Hussain Shah. His successors continued their rule over the district until 1538. At this time peace returned to the region and good governance was established in the country. During this time political harmony spread and trade flourished.
Then the reign of Husain Shahi dynasty came to an end in 1538 with the conquest of Bengal by Sultan Sher Shah Shuri (1539-1545) of Delhi. After the death of Sher Shah, Islam Shah (1545-1553 AD) maintained his authority over the district. After the death of Islam Shah, Mahmud Khan Shur, the ruler of Bengal, declared independence and Samsuddin Mohammad Shah Ghazi (1553-1556) retained his rule in Pabna district. Later his successors, including his son Ghiyasuddin Bahadur Shah, continued to rule the district till 1565. At this time when Taj Khan Karrani seized the throne of Lakhnauti, Pabna district came under his rule. Thus Dawood Karrani ruled the district till 1574. When he declared rebellion against the Mughal emperor Akbar, he was defeated and killed by the Mughal general Munim Khan, and in 1576 the Mughal rule began in Lakhnauti or Gaur. As Pabna district was included in the state, it came under Mughal rule in the same year.
From 1576 to 1727, 29 rulers ruled over the district under the Mughal Empire of Delhi. Among them were Raja Mansingh, Islam Khan, Prince Muhammad Sujan, Mir Jumla, Nawab Sayesta Khan and Nawab Murshid Quli Khan. During the long Mughal rule, a new era of peace and progress began in Pabna district.
Bengal became virtually independent under Nawab Murshid Quli Khan (1700-1727). He pursued a strict monetary policy. As a result, the zamindars of the earlier period failed to pay the revenue and their zamindari was taken away and distributed among the favored bhajans of the Nawab. Thus a new system was introduced instead of becoming a king in the line of succession and in fact Natore Raj was the chief representative of the kings of this district in all of Bengal. Members of the family of the king of Natore belonged to the Maitra family of the Barind Brahmins. In the system introduced by Emperor Akbar, all these zamindari were given to Ram Jiban, the eldest brother of Natore Raj, from 1707, when Nawab Murshid Quli Khan was the Dewan, and he managed the zamindari till 1730. It included Pabna district.
From 1727 to 1739, Pabna district was under the rule of the then Subedar Nawab Shuja Uddin and Ram Jiban was in charge of the revenue administration of the zamindari of Rajshahi. After 1730, the reign of revenue was entrusted to Maharaja Ramkant, the successor of Rama’s life. Alivardi Khan was the subedar of Bengal from 1742 to 1756. After the death of Maharaja Ramkant, the responsibility of managing this huge zamindari fell on Rani Bhabani. This talented lady ruled this huge zamindari with skill and competence for a long half a century in full time during the anarchy of Palashi, Uday Nala, the Battle of Buxar and the dual rule of Lord Clive and the famine that devastated one third of eighteenth century Bengal.
During the rule of Alivardi Khan, Pabna district was saved from Maratha attack. After the death of Alivardi Khan in 1756, his grandson-in-law, Nawab Siraj-ud-Daulah, ascended the Bengal throne and ruled over the whole of Bengal, including Pabna district, for one year. His reign came to an end in 1757 and with this came the independent Muslim rule of Bengal. In 1757, the English East India Company defeated Nawab Siraj-ud-Daulah at the historic battle of Palashi and established their rule in Bengal. Later, with the victory in the Battle of Boxer, the East India Company gained the civil rights of Bengal. But no interference was made in the revenue administration system of Rajshahi zamindari. As Pabna district was mainly included in the zamindari of Rajshahi, Rani Bhabani was the only one responsible for paying the land revenue to the company. Part of the district, however, belonged to Barabaju and Kagmari zamindari which now belongs to Sirajganj district. The greater part of Sirajganj district was part of Barabaju and Kagmari zamindari during the reign of Nawab Murshid Quli Khan (1703-1726).
In the middle of the eighteenth century, the peasants and artisans of Bengal revolted against the British rule and exploitation. In recent history, this revolt has been known as the “Fakir and Sannasi” revolt. Till 1787 Shah Mastan Borhana, the leader of the Fakir community of Bengal, was active in anti-British activities in large areas of North Bengal. At that time the fakirs were very active near Sirajganj. Majnu Shah was active in Pabna and adjoining districts (Rajshahi, Bogra, Rangpur, Dinajpur and Mymensingh) till his death in 1787 AD. At the time of the permanent settlement, most of the district was included in Rajshahi district. This part of Bengal was formed as a separate district in 1828 mainly due to the existence of a large number of bandits. A temporary joint magistrate was appointed in Pabna in 1828 for the purpose of establishing law and order and for the protection of life and property of the inhabitants. The appointment of the Joint Magistrate was made permanent in 1832, during which time he was appointed as an independent Deputy Collector. The district was formed by separating five thanas of Rajshahi on the eve of creation of separate districts. These police stations were from Rajshahi to Khetpara, Raiganj, Shahjadpur, Matthara and Pabna and 4 police stations in Jessore. The river Jamuna was fixed as the eastern boundary of the district in 1848 and due to the change in the course of the river, the Sirajganj thana was shifted from Mymensingh to Pabna in 1855. The present system of keeping a Magistrate-Collector was introduced in 1859 and at the same time a separate “Kamarkali” (Kushtia Kumarkhali) subdivision was formed with the three police stations of Pangsha, Khoksa and Baliakandi, which were hitherto considered part of Pabna. A large tract of land south of the Padma was still under this district. In 1860 Kushtia subdivision was annexed to Nadia. In 1871, Pangsha Thana was annexed from Pabna to Goalanda subdivision of Faridpur district and Kumarkhali thana to Kushtia subdivision of Nadia. Thus the southern boundary of the district is determined by the Padma.
The inhabitants of Pabna district were greatly influenced by the Faraji and Tariqat-i-Muhammadiya movements of the nineteenth century. Haji Shariatullah started the Faraji movement in 1818. The Tariqat-i-Muhammadi movement was started by Syed Ahmed Shaheed and Shah Ismail Shaheed in 1818. In 1820 Syed Ahmed Shaheed visited Calcutta and many people became his disciples. Since then the influence of the Tariqat-i-Muhammadiya movement has spread to other parts of Bengal including Pabna district.
The district was silent during the first independence movement of India in 1857 (sepoy revolt in the eyes of the British). In order to obstruct the movement of the Dhaka rebels to North Bengal through this district, the then District Magistrate of Pabna, Mr. Ravens, directed the Nilkar Sahebs of the district to form an army. As a result of this revolt, the rule of the East India Company came to an end and naturally Pabna district came under the rule of Queen Victoria of the British Empire in 1858.
Until the middle of the nineteenth century, indigo cultivation and indigo production was extensive in the entire Pabna district. Indigo cultivation has never gained popularity among the farmers. Because the zamindars were against it and by imposing additional tax burden on the blue land, they would destroy the hope of gaining raiyats. As a result of the oppression of the indigo planters of this district, the peasants revolted in 1859-60. As a result, indigo cultivation and indigo production was abandoned by indigo farmers. The Blue Rebellion eventually brought about change in the administration as well. Collector posts were created in the districts and district magistrates were appointed for efficient administration. Mr. G. Bright was appointed District Magistrate-Collector of this district.
In 1872-73 there was a disturbance in the real estate in Pabna district and it turned into a peasant movement. Later, with the promulgation of the Bengal Tenancy Act in 1855, the peasant movement in this district, including the whole of Bengal, came to a standstill. During the reign of Lord Curzon (1899-1905) the partition of Bengal resulted in the annexation of Pabna district to the new provinces of East Bengal and Assam. However, the partition of Bengal was canceled in December 1911.
With the emergence of a new state called Pakistan on 14 August 1947, this district (including Sirajganj) became part of East Pakistan. Since the partition of the country in 1947, the former East Pakistan and the people of East Bengal have been infuriated by the discriminatory and exploitative policies and practices of the then central ruling community of Pakistan. Moreover, ignoring Bengali, the mother tongue of the majority of the people of East Bengal, and declaring Urdu as the only state language for all Pakistan, the young, educated, intellectual community of East Bengal stood up against this unilateral and undemocratic decision of the Pakistan government. On 21 February 1952, the Damal boys of Bengal established the demand for Bengali language by shedding fresh blood. In 1966, the Bengalis jumped into the freedom movement to demand the six-point demand for the release of the Bengalis. The independence movement started from this language movement and freedom movement of Bengalis and the people of Pabna also became united on the call of independence movement of Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman, the sole leader of the movement, through a brilliant historic announcement at a huge public meeting at Dhaka Racecourse on 7 March 1971. Sangram committees were formed in Pabna district and police stations. The first Bangladeshi flag was hoisted at Pabna Town Hall on 23 March. Immediately the flag was hoisted at the residence of the Deputy Commissioner.
Deputy Commissioner Mr. M Nurul Quader Khan called upon the freedom fighters to open the gutters of the police line and be ready to resist the Pak army. On the night of 26 March, the Pak army encamped at the BSIC industrial city and captured the telegraph office, circuit house, stadium and post bungalow. On the evening of 27 March, the Pak army attacked the police line. Police members in the barracks build resistance. They were joined by the jail police. Thousands of people from char areas and rural areas took part in the resistance with the liberating masses of the city. Unable to resist at various places including the telegraph office, the Pak army fled to Rajshahi on 28 March. From March 29 to April 10, Pabna was independent. On the map of Bangladesh, Pabna gained the rare glory of being the first enemy barrier town in the forthcoming war. On April 4, the flag of Bangladesh was officially hoisted in front of the court building. On 11 April the Pak army again moved to Pabna. Fighting took place in different places in the districts and upazilas, then on 16 December 1971 the Pak army surrendered and Bangladesh became independent. Pabna was liberated on 17 March as there was no opportunity for information flow and the Pak army was occupying it till 18 March.
On 16 October 1828, Pabna was recognized as an independent district. By 1790, most of the district was included in Rajshahi district. At that time there was a dearth of responsible government employees in these areas. The incompetence of the police and the information of robberies by the zamindars were kept secret or avoided. In the countryside, robbers used to roam in groups. The pirates have been harassing the Chalanbil area for a long time. In order to prevent them and to make administrative arrangements, a joint magistrate was appointed in Pabna in 1828, as per the remarks of the company government. It became permanent in 1832 and he was appointed as an independent Deputy Collector. Pabna district was first formed with 5 thanas of Rajshahi district and 3 thanas of Jessore district. Its area and boundaries have changed from time to time. Khoksa Thana of Jessore was registered as Pabna on 21 November 1828. Other police stations were Khetupara, Mathura, Shahjadpur, Raiganj and Pabna in Rajshahi. ‘The four police stations of Jessore are Dharampur, Madhupur, Kushtia and Pangsha’. At that time Malwah District Magistrate of West Bengal was appointed as A W Mills Joint Magistrate in Pabna. When the post of Sessions Judge was created in 1837, the district came under the Sessions Judge of Rajshahi. On 16 October 1848, the eastern boundary of the district was defined as the river Jamuna. On 12 January 1855, Sirajganj thana was cut off from Momenshahi district and upgraded to a subdivision in 1866 AD. Deputy Magistrate is appointed. After 20 years, Raiganj police station joined the district. When the peace process deteriorated during the Blue Rebellion, Lord Canning appointed a collector to the district in 1859. Earlier, in 1857, T.E. Revenge. Municipalities were formed in Sirajganj in 1769 AD and in Pabna in 1876 AD. The district board was introduced in 1875 AD. When the Company rule came to an end, the district naturally came under the rule of Empress Dictoria of the British Empire in 1857. In 1859 Kumarkhali subdivision was formed under Pabna with the three police stations of Pangsha, Khoksa and Baliakandi. In 1863 Kushtia Thana was separated from this district and included in Nadia district. In May 1871, Pangsha Thana was annexed to Goaland subdivision of Faridpur district and Kumarkhali thana to Kushtia subdivision. In this way the southern boundary of the district is the river Padma. When Kumarkhali Thana was formed in 1855, it became a subdivision of Pabna in 1857. Kushtia subdivision was abolished in 1871 AD. The Judge’s Court was established in 1879. Earlier, several police stations were changed.
Nothing special is known about the origin of the name Pabna. However, there are different doctrines. Archaeologist Cunningham speculates that the name Pabna may have originated from the ancient kingdom of Pundra or Pundravardhana. However, the general belief is that the area is named Pabna after the confluence of a river called Pabni.
Language And Culture Of Pabna District
Everyone in Pabna district is Bengali, so their language is Bengali. There are several differences in the pronunciation of that Bengali language. There is usually a difference between the pronunciation of the villagers and the townspeople. This is because most of the people in the city are educated, so they can read, write and speak correctly, which is not possible for most uneducated rural people.
Natural resources Of Pabna Zila
The location of mineral resources stored on the surface of the earth or in any place underground basically indicates the geological features of the place concerned. Different important mineral resources exist in geological environments with different characteristics. In that sense, Pabna district is not rich in mineral resources.
Pits are found here in some parts of the Chalonbil area. In Bangladesh, where the total storage of peat is more than 170 million tons, the amount of storage in Chalanbile alone is about 62 million tons. Depth of storage challan is 0.5 – 4.75 m, thickness is 3.35 – 6.75 m, carbon is 14.80%, ash is 46.13%, humidity is 8.53%, volatile material is 54.13%. However, pit lifting from these stocks has not started yet. Peat is used in domestic work, brick kilns and as a boiler fuel. The potential of peat as an alternative fuel in our country is very bright.
Construction sand is found at the bottom of various rivers in Pabna district. This sand consists mainly of medium to coarse granular quartz. This sand is widely used in the construction of buildings, bridges, roads etc. If this sand is extracted in a planned way, its importance in the construction industry of Bangladesh will gradually increase.
List of liberation war and freedom fighters
In 1947, India was divided on the basis of biracial theory. Soon unscientific biracial theory proved futile. Bengali nationalism arose. Bangladesh was born in 1971 through armed struggle. Independent sovereign Bangladesh was established on the map of the world. Achieving independence through armed struggle in exchange for huge blood is a rare event in the history of the world. The contribution of Pabna district in independence at blood price is significant. During the war of independence Pabna district was under Sector 8. The Sector Commander was Lt. Col. Kazi Nuruzzaman. Pabna District Independent Bangla Sangram Parishad has played a glorious role from the beginning to the end of the War of Liberation. Similarly, the struggling students and people of the district have contributed in the same way. Thousands of freedom fighters of this district have created a unique example. He has repeatedly dealt with the Pak-invading forces. Several places in the district are free. Students, political leaders and activists, people of all walks of life and members of all police forces stationed in Pabna have participated in the liberation war of the district. Many leaders and workers have fulfilled the important responsibilities of the organization.
Description of the war of liberation in Pabna district
On Friday morning, March 26, 1971, the Pakistani aggressors launched a vicious attack on the people of Pabna. Realizing that it was not safe to stay in the city, the leaders of the Sangram Parishad took refuge in the char area on the outskirts of the city. Nurul Quader Khan, the then Deputy Commissioner of Pabna, took an oath to deal with the Pak army shoulder to shoulder with the leaders of the Sangram Parishad. Amjad Hossain MNA, Abdur Rob Baga Mia, Advocate Amin Uddin, Advocate Amjad Hossain, Waz Uddin Khan, Advocate Golam Ali Qaderi, Nawab Ali Mollah, Student Leader Rafiqul Islam Bakul, (Chief of Pabna Freedom Fighters) , Abdus Chattar Lalu, Sohrab Uddin Soba, Riddik Ali, Baby Islam and others.
On the morning of March 26, 1971, the Pakhanadar forces attacked the Pabna police line. The fearless police force of Pabna risked their lives to repel the attack of the Pakhanadar forces. In the battle of Pabna police line, the students of Pabna fought against the Pak army side by side under the leadership of Rafiqul Islam Bakul. The Pak army was forced to retreat after admitting huge losses. The Pak aggressors retreated from the police line and took position at the telephone exchange adjacent to the Tarash building. At 9.00 am, students and members of the police force led by Rafiqul Islam Bakul attacked the Pakhanadar forces stationed at the telephone exchange. In this battle most of the Pak invaders were killed and a number of Pak invaders went to different parts of the city to shoot. A battle of freedom fighters and freedom-loving people was organized with the Pak aggressors at a place called Moylagari in Pabna city. Several members of the Pakhanadar forces were killed there. Resistance war was organized in 17 places in Pabna. Notable among them are Pabna Police Line, Telephone Exchange, Moylagari, Wooden Bridge adjacent to Circuit House, BSIC, Madhpur Battala, Ishwardi Airport, Dashuria Tentul Tala, Muladuli, Maligachha. On the night of 25th March, all the 150 Pak invaders sent to Pabna were killed. Pabna was free for 14 days. After being free from Pabna for 14 days, the Pakhanadar forces, armed with heavy weapons, attacked the freedom fighters and the students who were stationed at Nagarbari Ghat on the way back to Pabna. Unable to survive, the freedom fighters retreated to Pabna. Some freedom fighters took up position at Dab Bagan of Santhia police station in Pabna district. Many freedom fighters were martyred in a fierce battle with the Pakhanadar forces there. Thirteen members of the Pakhanadar forces were killed. The place has been named “Shahidnagar” in memory of the martyrs of that war. After the re-occupation of Pabna by the Pak army, the freedom fighters and students went to India, received higher training, divided into different groups, entered Pabna and went to war against the Pak-Hanadar forces.
Notable battlefields of Ishwardi police station are Joynagar and Ishwardi Airport. Company Commander Sirajul Islam Montu, Sadrul Haque Sudha, Ajmal Haque Biswas, Nuruzzaman Biswas, Shamsur Rahman Sharif Dilu and others led the battle.
A frontal battle was fought with the Pakhanadar forces at Banshipara of Atgharia police station. This battle is significant as the biggest battle in Atgharia police station. BLF Commander Anwar Hossain Renu, FF Commander Wasif Ali, Ashraf Ali, Zahurul Haque and others led this battle.
A significant battle of Chatmohar police station was organized in the battle for possession of Chatmohar police station. Mozammel Haque Moyez, SM Mozaharul Islam, Chanchal and others led this battle.
Significant battles were fought at Baral Bridge and Dilpashar of Bhangura police station. The battle was led by wartime commanders Hannan Saheb, Aslam, Makchedur Rahman and others.
On 18 December Pabna was liberated. The flag of independent Bangladesh fluttered in the chest of Pabna.